Does your business continuity plan address your organization being hit by a 10 ton meteorite travelling at 33,000 miles per hour? Relax, no one else’s does either.
Here’s a story that grabbed my attention:
Wow, what a meshugas!
I envision throngs of company leaders gnashing their teeth and wringing their hands today over how to prevent such a calamity affecting their business.
Then shadowing the doorways of their continuity folks, security folks, HR folks and consultant-type folks demanding answers.
Bravo for the awareness of these leaders. Here is my four (4) part OTC aspirin for what ails you:
- Breathe. Really. Oxygen to the brain helps improve the choices we make (and don’t make).
- Repeat after me, Part 1: “Anything that goes BOOM inside OR outside my business but is OUT of my control requires an informed response plan.“
- Repeat after me, Part 2: “Anything that can go BOOM inside OR outside my business and is WITHIN my control requires an informed response plan.”
- Now go insure that your informed response plan passes muster for the real world and see me in the morning!
See? Unless it originates from within your organization, what causes the BOOM is far less significant to your businesses resiliency than the presence and activation of an informed response plan.
What makes a response plan you know, informed? Glad you asked, here are the five (5) things you should require:
- Has the backing of the organization’s stakeholders.
- Identifies the company’s risk and tolerance for that risk. Risk = the threats, the vulnerabilities and the impact of those threats (hazards) to the organization.
- Identifies what the company needs/wants in order to stay operational when faced with a disruption due to those hazards.
- Trains, trains and trains some more all of the people and processes that are required to prevent, respond to and/or recover from a disruption due to those hazards.
- Allows stakeholders to focus on their core business instead of their risk, but while maintaining a higher level of situational awareness.
If you enjoyed this article, chances are your friends will also.
WAIT ... Grab your Free Report: "10 Leadership Failures to Avoid During an Unplanned Event"
Download Your Free Report ... and discover the solutions to these failures!